Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Greenville, South Carolina
London ON, Canada
Moses Lake, Washington
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- M.S. in Mechanical/Electrical/Optical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience in designing, building, and developing advanced diagnostics and data analysis.
- Experience with optical sources, x-ray sources, microwave systems, time-resolved detection techniques, CCDs, fast scopes, imaging and spectroscopy, high-voltage systems, or spectrum and image analysis using numerical processing.
- Advanced analytical skills necessary to solve complex problems and make decisions.
- Experience working independently, as well as in a team, with minimal direction in a driven environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, such as would be needed to write reports, peer-reviewed publications, and proposals.
- Strong technical motivation to help ensure projects have sound strategy and minimized risks while working to resolve moderately complex to complex engineering issues.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Ph.D. in Mechanical/Electrical/Optical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and provide advice to management.
- Significant experience developing and integrating new diagnostics, and training others on instrumentation.
- Experience conducting research in one or more of the following areas: high-rate experiments, high-pressure science, mechanics of materials, fluid dynamics, finite element modeling, single-shot experiments, and hydrodynamic simulations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing operating procedures for multiple diagnostics
- Experience developing new products from TRL0 through TRL6
The AVS Career Center has listings for the latest science and engineering jobs in specialized disciplines like applied physics, astrophysics, atomic and molecular physics, mechanical engineering, plasma physics, materials science and engineering, fluid mechanics and dynamics, optics and lasers, and electrical engineering plus teaching jobs for assistant, associate, and full professor roles. Find a job here as a computational or experimental physicist, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.