Albuquerque, New Mexico
Orangeburg, South Carolina
Livermore , California
Notre Dame, Indiana
Daejeon, South Korea
Princeton, New Jersey
- Work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
- PhD in a Physical Science (e.g., Physics, Chemistry, Earth Science, Materials Science, Astronomy, Astrophysics,) Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with in-situ measurements (e.g., optical/IR/UV/microwave/x-ray spectroscopies, x-ray diffraction or imaging, velocimetry, etc.), diagnostic development, data analysis, model development, or image processing.
- Experience with analytical techniques and tools, including computational simulations, to determine structure, thermomechanical properties (e.g., thermal or electrical conductivity, density, bulk modulus, etc.), or thermodynamic variables (e.g., temperature, pressure, etc.).
- Demonstrated capacity for conception, design, control, and execution of experiments.
- Proficient, collaborative verbal and written communication skills, as demonstrated by publication of peer-reviewed literature and presentations of research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in one of the following areas: advanced manufacturing; materials science; strain and failure modeling; High Energy Density Science, high-pressure or high-temperature science (dynamic or static), matter and/or materials at extreme conditions, interiors of planets and exoplanets, giant impacts, spectroscopic methods, or research at large scale facilities such as synchrotrons, gas guns, or pulsed-power machines.
- Experience with computer programming with an emphasis on developing custom analytical routines or experience with developing new experimental techniques and/or computer algorithms.
- Experience working on highly multidisciplinary teams.
The AVS Career Center has listings for the latest science and engineering jobs in specialized disciplines like applied physics, astrophysics, atomic and molecular physics, mechanical engineering, plasma physics, materials science and engineering, fluid mechanics and dynamics, optics and lasers, and electrical engineering plus teaching jobs for assistant, associate, and full professor roles. Find a job here as a computational or experimental physicist, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.