The Computer Science Department at Northern Illinois University invites applicants to tenure-track appointments at the rank of Assistant Professor to start in August 2019. Responsibilities include teaching, scholarship, seeking external funding, and service.
Candidates must have or expect to complete a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in computer science or related field by August 16, 2019. Candidates from all research areas are welcome, but preference will be given to candidates with expertise in one of the following: High-Performance Computing, Data Science, Workflows, Machine Learning, or Software Engineering.
Candidates must have expertise or evident potential for quality teaching in computer science at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Further, candidates must show evidence of, or potential for, publishing in premiere peer-reviewed journals, developing an independent line of research, and securing external funding. Finally, candidates must have effective interpersonal communication skills and a commitment to working effectively in a collegial, multicultural environment.
Northern Illinois University values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse cultural backgrounds, and who possess a commitment to improving their access to higher education and achievement. Northern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. A pre-employment criminal background investigation is required.
Qualified individuals must submit a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, a statement of research vision, a statement of teaching philosophy, and a list of at least three references. Review of applications will begin on November 30, 2018 and continue until the positions have been filled. All materials must be submitted at https://employment.niu.edu/postings/37508 .
About Northern Illinois University
The vision of Northern Illinois University is to be the premier student-centered, research-focused public university in the Midwest, contributing to the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of the people of the region, the state, the nation, and the world.
With this vision, the mission of the University is to promote excellence and engagement in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, creativity and artistry, and outreach and service.
In pursuing our vision and fulfilling our mission, the University values:
* A community of diverse people, ideas, services, and scholarly endeavors in a climate of respect for the intrinsic dignity of each individual
* Access for a broad spectrum of students to high quality undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs that prepare them to be lifelong learners and productive, socially conscious citizens
* Engaged teaching and learning that evolves from the synergy of research, artistry, and service
* Research and artistry in creating, transmitting, expanding, and applying knowledge
* Student success supported through academic and co-curricular programming and activities
* The application of current technology in e...nhancing and broadening all institutional endeavors
* A system of shared governance that incorporates input from faculty, staff, and students in decision- and policy-making
* Commitment to a public purpose addressing regional, state, national, and global challenges and opportunities
AVS is a partner in the AIP Career Network, a collection of online job sites for scientists, engineers,
and computing professionals. Other partners include Physics Today, the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT),
American Physical Society (APS Physics), IEEE Computer Society, and the Society of Physics Students (SPS) and Sigma Pi Sigma.